Scam or a missed opportunity?

I received a phone call this morning from a male claiming to work for The Beat Magazine for the Police.  He wondered if I would like to feature in their magazine for a whole year.  I would be the only photographer in there and would be recommended by Merseyside Police in Liverpool within a 20 mile radius.  He was very believable and when he reduced the price of the smallest ad I was tempted and agreed to wait for another phone call to confirm my ad and pay.

Whilst awaiting the call I decided to have a look at the magazine on-line and see who else advertises with them and what their ads look like etc. only I couldn't find the website.  After typing in all-sorts like, 'the beat magazine Merseyside', the beat magazine Police', the beat', you get the point.

What did come up were a couple of other business owners who had had similar phone calls from someone claiming to sell advertising space for a Police magazine.  They were reporting that they had been scammed.  Immediately my guard was up and I was really annoyed!  I am a brand new business trying to increase my trade, so of course I was flattered and I can't believe I almost fell for it.

Of course the phone call came and I told the caller with a Scouse accent in London that I no longer wanted to place an ad and I thought it was a scam.  He sounded disappointed and told me that he understood that people have be wary these days but didn't really offer any proof that the magazine was real. He did give me the web address which I have had a look at, and they have a Facebook page that only has 120 likes.  

I still have no idea whether this was a missed opportunity or someone trying to scam me out of money I haven't even earned yet but I can't afford to take that risk and thought I'd let other people know about it instead.

Sorry, man from The Beat Magazine.... I'm not buying. 

Comments